Neils Eggplant Parmigiana Womens Weekly
⅔ cup (160 ml) olive oil
1 medium_piece (150 g) brown onion (chopped coarsley)
2 clove garlic (crushed)
400 gram (12.5 ounces) canned diced tomatoes
2 cups (560 g) bottled tomato passata
¼ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
2 medium_piece (600 g) (eggplants, sliced thickly)
¼ cup (35 g) plain (all-purpose) flour
⅓ cup fresh basil leaves (loosely packed)
200 gram (6.5 ounces) bocconcini (slicked thinly)
⅔ cup (50 g) parmesan finely grated
½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced).
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, cook onion, stirring, until soft. Add garlic, cook, stirring, until fragrant. Stir in tomatoes, passata and chilli, season to taste. Transfer mixture to a medium jug.
- Toss eggplant in flour to coat, shake off excess. Heat remaining oil in same pan, cook eggplant, in batches, until browned on both sides. Drain on paper towel.
- Layer half the eggplant in a 18cm x 25cm (7¼-inch x 10-inch) ovenproof dish, season. Top with half the tomato mixture, basil and bocconcini. Repeat layering, finishing with parmesan. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Uncover, bake further 15 minutes or until browned and tender.